Tuesday, February 7, 2012

#1 installation of an electronic safety power switch : magnetic switch

On my last event, I had realised that my r2 needs something to be able to cut the power rapidly and easily.
After few searches, I've chosen the SPS - SafetyPowerSwitch 34V 60/120A from EMCOTEC. This model is a power switch for electric power systems which includes a magnetic switch actuator with keyring pendant power switch for electric power systems and prevents the dreaded sparks during connecting the battery with anti-flash-circuitry.

I've installed this system between my main battery and my 4005H BIGrunner and it works fine.



 I've modified a little my electronics panel to have the magnetic switch easily reachable



 




4 comments:

  1. Nice, I like it! is this something that could be fitted on really simple set ups??

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, it's really easy to install
    This system is installed between the battery and the fuses box.
    I've put powerpole on each side, so it's a removable system very easy to use and after 2 events this week in my movie theater, no problem detected and i find it very reliable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading the docs on this. Seems backwards for use on
    a R2. I'd want to pull the "magnetic key" to disable
    R2. This unit seems to power up when the key is removed.

    Can it be configured differently? If R2 starts taking
    off into a crowd, I'd like to pull the key to disable.

    Also it only mentions LiPo batteries. Will it work SLA
    batteries?

    Neat find no matter how you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you're right. It's exactly how it works in my r2, you have to put the magnetic key to disable the power.
    It looks like the Restraining Bolt works.
    I don't know if it could be configured differently, i haven't read anything about this.
    I've got 12V 20Ah NH1220 Gel/AGM Battery and it works really fine.

    ReplyDelete