James and Jerry have done an excellent job on the body frame and legs but I find that it's not convenient for maintenance operations. If you want to remove legs, you have to remove shoulder screws and have access the both sides of the shoulder flanges, the outside is easy with the removing parts on the legs, but the inside is more complicated if the skin is already installed on the body frame. So I've decided to make some modifications on the legs attachment like Marc (CuriousMarc on astromech.net) has already done on his r2 and perhaps few others builders. The idea is to let the shoulder flanges attached to the frame and screw the legs on the shoulder flanges only from the outside.
I've started this modifications (it's not as beautiful as james or jerry's parts)
Shoulder flanges have already few unused 3/8 drills, you have to tap some 3/8-16 threads, I've decided to use 5 screws 3/8-16 x 1 UNC to maintain each leg.
Don't forget to verify before drilling that your holes will not be visible after with every parts on.

The next step is now to make bigger holes to let the shoulder screws go through the legs. Don't forget to use new washers on shoulder screws to compensate the leg thickness
No comments:
Post a Comment